default_mobilelogo

Welcome to EasyDiscuss BH Forums

The 1940's history of the Bailiff at Bretby Hall

Nick, friend of a resident at Bretby Hall, kindly granted consent for us to upload this photo to the website. Nick told us his grandfather was the site bailiff & lived in the stables in the 1940s. Watch this blog as Nick tries to get more information from his family. Notice the 1800 hall wall is not yet connected to the much older Jacobean cottages. 

  207 Hits

A DEO ET REGE

From God and the King The circa 1815 iron railings from the grand stairs with the original and very complex five solid Iron Crest casts, each with the Latin words;  "A DEO ET REGE" which we understand translates to "FROM GOD AND THE KING". The two back to back 'C's of Chesterfield Interlocked. Around the outside a belt and buckle, the emblem of fidelity and ...

Continue reading
  346 Hits

Bretby Hall Chapel (Queens Court) and Bretby Village Church

A few pictures of Bretby Hall's own chapel showing a small gathering of some members and also a few pictures of the local church in Bretby Village  St Wystans Church, Bretby (stwystansbretby.co.uk)

  267 Hits

VISIT FROM HIGHCLERE

‚ÄčThe first written records of the Highclere estate date back to 749 when an Anglo-Saxon King granted the estate to the Bishops of Winchester. Bishop William of Wykeham built a beautiful medieval palace and gardens in the park. Later on, the palace was rebuilt as Highclere Place House in 1679 when it was purchased by Sir Robert Sawyer, the direct ancestor of the current Earl of Carnarvon. In 1842, Sir Charles Barry, who also designed the Houses of...

Continue reading
  529 Hits